I’ve just made a gluten free, healthy carrot cake with sweet potato, carrots and ground almonds in place of flour. I’ve used less butter, due to the moisture from the carrot and potato, and I used Xylitol (also sold as Perfect Sweet in Supermarkets) in place of sugar.
So this is what I used:
- 75g butter
- 75g Xylitol – beat together
- 1 egg – add in and beat
- Handful of sultanas – add in
- Half large grated carrot – add in
- Half sweet potato cooked and mashed – add in (I chopped very small and boiled for ten minutes)
- 100g ground almonds – add in
- Large pinch of cinnamon – add in
All of this took ten minutes which I then baked in a loaf tin at 180 for 25-30 minutes. You could double the mixture and place a in large round cake tin.
Having cooled the cake, I then added some healthy frosting made from natural yoghurt and some sieved icing powder which I drizzled over and topped with a couple of walnuts and a little grated carrot. Because of the yogurt, this cake is best kept refrigerated.